Architecture & Fabric
The church, of Romanesque style, is built of ashlar (masonry made of large square-cut stones) in the Norman style, and comprises an apsidal chancel (semi-circular recess covered with a hemispherical vaulted ceiling) nave, gallery, north and south transepts and vestry. In 1958 the north transept was converted into a Lady Chapel in memory of Revd Leonard West, vicar from 1915 – 1933.
The domed nave has a 5-bay tie-beam truss roof on stone corbels.
Behind the altar paintings of the Twelve Apostles are to be found set in trefoiled topped niches.
There are a number of beautiful stained-glass windows, many of which are memorials.
Among those commemorated are Sister Elizabeth of St Mary’s Home (1873); Charles Paul & Emma Mary Phipps of Chalcot House (1885); Rt Rev Walter Ken-Hamilton D D, 66th Bishop of Salisbury (window dedicated by the vicar, church wardens and parishioners)
The heating was modernised after 2001, with the aid of various grants received.
In 2014 the path to the front door was re-laid to meet modern demands of easy access for the disabled.
Around 2015/16 a servery and toilet were added, also easily accessible.
In 2017 a glass porch with specially design engraved doors were added to give a welcoming entrance.
The tower contains 2 bells and a clock by Vulliamy. The clock was completely overhauled in 2003 and electrical wiring was installed.
The organ was built in 1873 by Robert Allen of Bristol and is considered to be one of the finest in Wiltshire. It comprises of 19 speaking stops and 5 couplers with 2 manuals. Robert Haskins, also of Bristol, rebuilt the organ in 1930 and an electric blower was added in 1947.
The church plate, hallmarked 1844, was provided by selling some of the plate from Westbury church.
The former village church, St Mary’s of Old Dilton, is just a mile away from Holy Trinity. It is an architectural gem dating back to the 15th Century. It is used annually for a candle-lit carol service. There being no electricity or heating in the building!
A more detailed history of the church is available, from Holy Trinity church